Friday, November 20, 2009

Personality Quiz Response

This should be subtitled: All About Me. . . haha

Y'all know that this is one of my favorite topics, so when Jenny (my sister) blogged about it, I couldn't contain myself to that response box.

I think Gary Smalley's personality descriptions is my favorite because it is the easiest to understand. I haven't read that book since college, but I can still remember it. What's weird to me is that I get different answers on different tests.

I actually did a little research tonight to sort some of these personality tests out. I found some really good descriptions of the one test I never understood because they have those stupid names: Choleric, Phlegmatic, Sanguine and Melancholy. I never liked it because I test VERY high in Melancholy and everyone knows that melancholy means sad! But, I found some really good descriptions that make me not hate it so much anymore, as you will see below. :)

Lion--Choleric. . .This is the leader-type, bold, outspoken, decision-maker, dominating. . . Not really me, most of the time. On the color test, I think this is the same as a "gold", which I test high in. . . because I'm organized, I like plans, administrative, etc. I see most things as either right or wrong--not much gray. I tend to make a lot of judgements. I like to give advice. I get frustrated when No one is leading and then, I might step up, but I prefer to be behind the leader. So, I've decided that this is not me at all, but because of the administrative questions, the color test questions sway me this way. I think this is like Rabbit (on Winnie the Pooh), who I can very much relate to, but I don't see myself as a leader.

Otter--Sanguine. . .This is Tigger, or "orange". . . this is Definitely Not me! I score low in this Always. I need these people in my life to help me have fun. But, this personality in too high of a dose can really irritate me (like Rabbit gets irritated with Tigger. . . I can soooo relate to Rabbit!).

Beaver---well, obviously, this is a hard worker, studious type. Yes, I am definitely a hard worker and I can be very studious and I like to research thing that interest me. I can very much be a perfectionist. This is the "green" personality. I can very much relate to this personality, except that one Big describer is that they like to be alone. I HATE being alone. The only time I want to be alone is when I get tired of the activity and noise of the kids. Before I had 4 kids, I didn't ever want to be alone. That's why I score low in green on the color test. Also, another Big describer is that they make piles (I am not a piler, except the receipts on my desk.) and that they take a long time to make decisions. I don't like to take a long time to make a decision usually. Dragging out decisions about little stuff is actually irritating to me. Also, beavers usually don't like to talk a lot. I love conversation, but I know that I can be quiet at times. I just need someone to get me going. :) I don't like to be quiet, but sometimes I just don't have anything to say. I think this beaver/green personality must be Melancholy=Eeyore.

Golden Retriever--This is "blue" on the color test. This is the supporter. People who value relationships more than anything. They are loyal and dependable. I think this very much describes me, but I definitely have moments where I think what needs to get done before someones feelings. . . especially with my kids. I'm pretty sure this is Pooh. He's every one's friend and he wants everyone to just get along and be included. Sometimes I think I score high on this because I think this is the way I Should be. Sometimes I don't know if that's really how I am or how I THINK I should be. . . or what I admire. I'm definitely loyal and dependable and I definitely would like to avoid conflict, but I'm not sure I am as loving and considerate as a True Blue Golden Retriever. This one must be Phlegmatic.

I never understood the one that uses the terms melancholy, phlegmatic (until tonight), etc. . . but I know I test very high in melancholy. I remember my teacher, Mrs. James telling me I was melancholy very quickly. . .no doubt in her mind. It made me cry because I don't want to be someone who is sad. That's not what I want to be at all! I have taken a Pooh test, too. . . and no matter how hard I try to sway my answers without being completely dishonest, I get Eeyore every time! I don't want to be sad, people! I don't feel sad all the time. . . not even a lot anymore (although I did when I was having hormone problems). (One thing I do LOVE about Eeyore, though, is his witty sarcasm!!!)

So, just to make myself feel better. . . here's some positive things about melancholy people that I think very much describes me. (Yes, I looked this up online. . . very beaver of me.) I got this from oneishy.com. The have strengths and weakness for each of the personalities. I don't recommend looking at your weakness. It's quite depressing!

Serious and purposeful
Genius prone (haha--I don't really think I'm a genius, but I like that one!)
(There was also artistic, creative, musical, talented. . . as much as I like those, I'm just a little bit. . . not a lot.)
Appreciative of beauty (very true of me)
Self-sacrificing
Sensitive
Conscientious
High Standards--wants things done right
Sacrifice own will for others
Makes friend cautiously (very true)
Faithful and Devoted
Moved to tears with compassion
Schedule oriented
Persistent and Thorough
Organized
Economical (How many times have I told you how cheap I got something? haha)
Sees problems and finds creative solutions
Needs to finish what they start
Likes graphs, charts, figures, lists

My second highest on that test would be Phlegmatic (golden retriever, blue, etc. . . that comes in at a very close second on every test). Like I said before, I probably test high on this because it's what I admire and try to be. . . because I think it's what I'm supposed to be.

I think Allister is blue/green. That would make him a beaver/golden retriever. . . melancholy/phlegmatic. But, we aren't the same. He is more outgoing, friendly, generous, and optimistic. I am more organized and sensitive. He is more conscience of what people think than I am. I am more open and emotional. He's more reserved and private. I am more careful (with money, driving, taking risks). I would be very curious if he will read my blog and tell me that I am wrong. Haha.

One thing that I would like to say in my own defense right now is that sometimes these personality types are described as taking a long time to do a task because they want to do it right. I can get a lot done in a short amount of time. I do want things done right, but part of doing it right is doing it in a timely manner!!! I actually find it very irritating when people take too long to do a task. (Maybe that's why sometimes I test as gold/lion?)

So. . . Jenny's link took me to a DISC test and just in case you are curious, I was a natural coordinator (right between S & C) and an adapted supporting coordinator. . . I wonder how much of that has to do with growing up the middle sister? When I listened to the descriptions, I didn't feel like the words he used described me very well, though.

Last, but not least, Myers Briggs test tells me I'm ISFJ. If you know what that means, you really know your stuff!

Oh my, I spent over 2 hours on this stupid blog. I AM green. Ugh. I don't know how I'm going to get up and try to be blue tomorrow morning. I'd better get some good responses here! Give me some love, people! I want to know what you think you are and if you have ever come up with a different answer like me. AND if you think I'm wrong about Allister. I know he's more Sanguine than me, but I don't think he's as Sanguine as he thinks he is. He does love to talk, though!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I think all this is just proof how God made us all so different. Our personalities aren't flat and can be put into a box. They are 3 dimensional and the reasons we do things depend on 1000's of factors. I took a left brain/right brain test the other day and it explained a whole different aspect why I do things.

Finding Joy in Him said...

I liked your sub-title.. felt the same way about my blog.. It's painful to spend so much time evaluating myself.. I prefer thinking about less personal stuff. I think we have a lot in common.

Enid said...

I think pretty much what Wendy said. Except I havent got that brain test. I could test a horse with that test, though.

And also like what your other sister said. "It's painful to spend so much time evaluating myself" ...

I just swim like Dory...lest keep swimming, swimming swimming!

Jenifer Davidson said...

first...i am not getting your updates anymore either (like Wendy posted a while back), so your personality may have gotten your feelings hurt that I had not commented yet since you wrote this Friday and I am reading it Sunday. JUST KIDDING! Here are my thoughts..agree with you...VERY CAUTIOUS..in every way from money to making friends. Regarding Allister, I think he has orange in him. I think these tests cant explain everything..and they dont allow GOD to "improve" areas in our lives. They label people, which as you have experienced, and me too, is not always honoring. You being sad, me being dominant. I hate that word. What about servant leadership..i like that much better! I have taken every test you mentioned, except the pooh test, even the disc test. No matter how much my character improves, I am still flagged as choleric/gold..and orange...remember shop til you drop and opera singing ; )! Its fun to take them but the truth is our personalitys should be being molded to honor GOD more in every way. And if anyone puts a label on me, I want it to be just that, that I allow God to improve and work in my life! This is the longest comment ever...the end!