Today I've been thinking about how much we influence people and sometimes we don't even realize it. Or maybe we do, but we didn't mean to. One person can make a big difference. God can use one person to completely change where we are in life.
One day, about 4 years and 4 months ago, I went to the gym with my kids to put them in a home school PE class. I was pretty new in town and didn't have any real friends here. From the van, I spotted a blond mom who had 3 kids close to my kids' ages. I was in a mood, so I "stalked" her. Well, not really, but I purposely got on the elliptical trainer next to her and looked for an excuse to talk to her. I found out that her name was Robin and she had just recently pulled her kids out of school. Little did I know she would change my life. We talked a little and before we left the gym, she invited me to a home school group. Through her, God gave me the greatest gift--friendship. Not only was she a friend to me, but introduced me to other good friends. She brought friends into my life who are loving me and cheering me on. Some of these friends have brought both spiritual and emotional growth in me. Some have challenged me in ways I have never been challenged before. Some have been a comfort in hard times. She was one of these wonderful friends. She always made me feel like I was super-mom. She would randomly send me texts, telling me how special I am to her. She would tell me that she loves me, which caught me off guard at first--people just don't say that much anymore. She changed my life. She always had a smile on her face and talked about how good God is. What was so incredible about that is that she had it harder than all of us. She had a very sweet husband, but he wasn't a Christ-follower. She had to work full-time from home while homeschooling her kids because that's where her health insurance was coming from. . . and she had cancer. She fought it with a smile on her face. She didn't complain about her symptoms. She used her trips to the clinic as a ministry opportunity. She was also on a mission to love her husband and bring him to love God as much as she does. She loved her kids and everyone else's, too. I thank God for her life. I will miss her very much now that she's in Heaven, but I am happy that she is saved and healed. I'm also glad that I got to tell her how much I love her and how grateful I was that she invited me to the home school group that day.

4 comments:
Is cool to read this, I didn't know that was how yall meet. I thought was just in the group. I love your way to meet her...!
wow. I'm so sorry. What a hard thing.
A beautiful tribute to your friend and another example of how the
God given desire for friends is your ministry.
"As each part of the body does its own special work the whole body of Christ is healthy and growing and full of love." Ephesians 4:15
So proud of you for expressing your thoughts. This is so amazingly beautiful about such a beautiful person. Robin would be proud too. Very well spoken. Way to go!
Post a Comment