Friday, August 1, 2008

Tortillas--edited

In light of the grocery prices rising, I can no longer bring myself to purchase whole wheat tortillas at $2.78- $2.99 for 10. That's just absurd. We do like to try to keep our grains to nearly all whole grains, though, so I have resorted to making my own tortillas. They taste better anyway. Here's my recipe (I don't remember where I got it.):

3 c. whole wheat flour
1.5 t. salt
1.5 t. baking powder
3 T. oil (canola is what I use)
1 c. hot water

(I usually double the recipe so that we have them for another meal.)

Mix dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients. Knead until completely mixed. Let set, covered with tea towel, for 30 min. Heat dry skillet to medium high heat. Divide dough into egg sized balls. Roll out into 8-10 in. tortillas. (I roll the next one while the last one is cooking.) Place in hot, dry skillet. Turn over when it bubbles (about 2 min.). Remove from pan when both sides are done. (They are tostadas if they become stiff or have black spots. lol) Place a damp paper towel over the finished stack of tortillas to keep them warm and moist. Yields 10-12, 8-10in. tortillas.

My family says these are just as good as Rosa's tortillas. It takes some practice to get that good, though! :)

2 comments:

La said...

Sounds yummy! I'll have to try it! and no, I'm not a stalker! I'm a friend of W's who no longer lives in SA..... =)

team D said...

They turned out great!!! Thanks so much for the recipe!