Saturday, January 10, 2009

Hablo Espanol

While I was at Ross with Z in her ballet outfit Thursday night, we were on an aisle with a mother and grown daughter who were speaking Spanish. Z was curious and asked, "Mommy, are they speaking Spanish?"
"Yes," I replied.
"What are they saying?"
"I don't know. I wasn't listening."
"Are they from Mexico?"
"I don't know, Z, some Americans speak Spanish."
By this time, the women were laughing at loud at us. I was afraid Z was going to cry because she gets embarrassed easily. The older lady turned to me and said, "I am from Mexico. I come from Chihuahua."
The younger woman added, "I was born in California. This is my mother."
Z informs, "My mommy went to Mexico."
I added, "I lived in Oaxaca for 6 months."
The woman turns to her daughter and says in Spanish (I will translate for you.), "This woman is a good person. She has a heart for the Mexican people." That really touched my heart that she could see that in me. I DO have a heart for Hispanics, especially women and children.
She turned to me and said (in Spanish), "You were a missionary?"
I replied (in Spanish), "Yes, my husband and I worked in a children's home. There were 30 children in the home. Now we have 4 children of our own. 3 boys and her, " touching Z.
They told me that Z was pretty and that she looks like me. :)
Z asked, "How do you say ballerina in Spanish?"
The lady told her slowly, "Bai-la-ri-na. Bailarina. Bailarina de ballet." Then, asked me in Spanish if she's taking ballet.
Then Z says, "I know a song in Spanish."
By this time, more Hispanic women have gathered. (I'm not kidding!) They all chimed in and asked her to sing it for them! Oh, how I wished Z had not felt too shy at that moment. That would have been a huge blessing! She knows how to sing, "En mi casa vive Jesus!"
Z shook her head to say, "no."
I asked her, "Would you sing it if I sang with you?"
She still refused. I let it go. The ladies started to leave and the one turned to me and said (in Spanish), "God bless you."
I replied, "You, too!"
Then, she added, "I'm a Christian, too."
I smiled and said, "Good." I didn't know what else to say.
This experience was a wonderful blessing and I came home smiling. It was so sweet. It reminded me how much I would like to be in some kind of local ministry where I can use my Spanish. I know there are opportunities. I'd like to be able to do it as a family (with Allister) with a church or another local organization. I am earnestly praying for Allister's job will change so that we can afford for him to work less and that he would be available (schedule change) for more ministry opportunities and family time.

5 comments:

Elayne said...

What a sweet story. Got me all misty here!

Enid said...

Que chevere que escribistes esto C. Yo creo que Dios sigue eschuchando tu corazon....su respuesta esta mas cerca de lo que tu te imajinas.

Wendy said...

That's so sweet. Made me smile.

Jenifer Davidson said...

very cool! Maybe you can help at the lubbock dream center with your spanish speaking knowledge.
...or eastern europe : ).

Finding Joy in Him said...

That's so cool! What a great encounter. I'll pray for more Spanish speaking ministry opportunities for you.

We are studying Spanish with Visual Link Spanish on the computer this year. I like it. I think I am actually saying my r's right.

You could always teach a Spanish Homeschool class.

J