Most of the time, I am extremely conservative with money. I don't buy stuff that we don't need because I'm trying to pay of debt (always). Every once in a while I decide we need something and I go overboard. Today, it was books. (I've done this once before with books.) I decided that we needed more books for the kids to read for school. Normally, I would ration that we can go to the library--we don't need to buy them. Today, I got on Ebay and bought 65 chapter books for grades 3-6 for $90 (including shipping). Most of them are prize winning books. I hope my kids like them. I'm going to be upset with them if I have to bribe them to read now. So, what inspired this, you ask me. Well, I have an obsession with the TV series, Lost. I've never been like this about a show before. I'm not really a sci-fi kind of girl, either, but I got hooked on Lost in the first season. I have watched every episode twice and some more than twice. You can watch them all online for free at ABC's website. So, I listen to this interview with the writers and their mothers. There mothers are both avid readers and got their kids hooked on books. I'm convinced that this is why the writers of Lost are such geniuses. (And I assure you, they are geniuses. What they do with this show is amazing!) I decided then that I absolutely must get my kids hooked on books. I knew this long ago, but now I have inspiration.
In other news. . . we took down the fence in the front of our house (for those of you who've seen it) and rocked the area over there where that huge rose bush is. It looks good, I think. I'm also starting the process of scraping off the chipping paint on our patio with a razor blade. Fun. Fun.

4 comments:
I think getting kids hooked on reading is wise. Reading and running. Both teach us so much in life. AND if Z decides when she's older that she likes teenage romances, don't take them away from her.
I just posted a site that has a summer reading program. You might look into it!
Me, too. I still read teenage romances.
Teens don't need romance. They need to wait till "God writes there love story." Haven't you read the book? I should know...
:-)
J
Post a Comment