Monday, October 1, 2007

Kid Food

Beautiful Chaos' post made me think of something that happened not that long ago that's kinda embarrassing. I have a rule in my house. It goes like this: If you don't like what I serve for dinner, don't say so. Just don't eat it. There are other choices. #1 actually made a poem about it: You get what you get and you don't throw a fit. If someone complains about the food, they get a lecture in gratefulness and a lesson in what other kids are eating around the world (in some cases NOTHING.) This very thing happened this morning. #2 started whining about me making french toast for breakfast (How many mothers actually MAKE breakfast?--never mind that I don't throw parties.) I told him that when we lived in Mexico, everybody got beans everyday for breakfast. And for lunch. And for dinner, you got a tortilla with leftover beans inside. I asked him if he'd rather have beans (I actually had some ready.) or french toast. He said, "french toast." I told him that many children in the world weren't having breakfast this morning. I asked him if he'd rather have french toast or nothing. He said, "french toast."

So, a couple of weeks ago we had the neighbors over for dinner. We had fajita's on the grill. We always use whole wheat tortillas, which I think may have been part of the problem for the kids (not mine). Well, the neighbor's kid is pretty much used to getting what she wants as far as food goes. So, anyway. . . she says, "I don't like it!" in her nicest whiny voice. I tell her, "Dear, at my house the rule is: You aren't allowed to say that you don't like the food. If you don't like it; don't eat it." Her dad says, "Oh, is that the rule?" She was lucky not to get the "Beans and Nothing" speech. I told them we didn't have any special "kid food" at my house. So, her mom goes back home and comes back with hot dogs for her daughter and the other kid she brought. Just hot dogs. No buns. Nothing else. Just hot dogs. (Gag.) I have a hot dog lecture, too. You should have heard my doughnut lecture on the way to church yesterday. Why do they serve our children that stuff at church--where they teach us that our bodies are God's temple? I am not the biggest health nut around. I eat some unhealthy things. I am borderline overweight (according to the charts). But, there are some things that really should be only very, very occasional--not every week. Doughnuts are on that list.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

In the nursery at church, they give the kids fruit loops. COME ON!! I don't like giving Z snacks, but if I do, at least give him something with less sugar.

beautiful chaos said...

I'm with you on the hot dogs, but I gotta stray on the doughnuts.
You would have a literal cow if you saw the way I eat. It's awful, so unhealthy. My kids eat really healthy, I think. But me, Pigs eat better...
And I love the "beans or nothing" approach.
We, too, utilize the "if you don't like it, keep your yap shut" idea at our dinner table. I'm hoping that by the time they're 6 and 7, it'll stick...
Your neighbor really went home and scrounged around for a hot dog??
That's hilarious!

kablot spot said...

Don't ever let anyone tell you that you make too big a deal out some of this stuff. You know what I beieve? I believe that 'the meanest mother in the world' can be the best mother in the world. I really believe it after a few years of youth ministry. I think some parents don't make a big enough deal about the little things when their kids are young, then their kids don't know how to answer for themselves the big life-altering questions that come later. I fortunately had one of the meanest mothers in the world for which I am now very grateful. I also intend to be the same way. Even though your kids are young, you have been teaching them a really important social skill. Congratulations! I am really impressed with your dedication to your biggest investment.

Wendy said...

Wonder what would happen if when they complained, you just took the food away and set beans in front of them, not saying a word.